Sunday, September 11, 2016

I am Setsuna ps4 review




I was really excited about this game, as it reminded me so much of a game I played years ago. Chrono Trigger. Also,, anytime there is a Ps4 exclusive, I like that. But did it live up to the hype?

What I liked
For it not really changing the aesthetic all that much, the game was pretty. Well,, if you don't mind snow, as that was a constant theme. I liked the way it looked, so that is ok for me.

There is a definitely a feel of Chrono Trigger here as the battles were very quick and moved quickly.

The boss fights were challenging. I did a few times and really had to think about how to go about them a few times.

What I did not like

The game was way too easy. Random fights were just not even a challenge, and then the boss fights would be ridiculously hard. No balance at all.

I was bored most of the time. The story was so predictable and cliche that I just did not care. In an age where I have played games like Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Gone Home, and others...this story just did not work. Yes, it is a smaller company, but good story telling is something even small companies can do.

Also the characters were not any better as they did things that made no sense at all, and I never cared about any of them.

The beginning was just bad. You are a mercenary that is "known" for how you always finish your assignment. So, when you are pad to kill this young girl you don't do it? Why. Reasons. I guess. Then she wants you to join her pilgrimage. Why? Reasons. I guess.

Lack of voice acting, but then characters would say things in japanese sometimes.

Why do games give you dialogue options that don't really do anything? This is something that should not happen now. That makes it feel like an old school game, in the worst way.

Overall
Just a disappointment as I really wanted to like this game. Bad storytelling with boring characters did not thing to help this game be anything other than mediocre.

Rating 4.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment