Tuesday, November 24, 2015

My thoughts on the new Star Wars novels

Here is my ranking of the new Star Wars novels, from worst to best.

Heir to the Jedi  (between A New Hope and Empire)
By far the worst book in the series. Set in between A New Hope and Empire, it was a cool premise as it is Luke trying to figure out how to be a Jedi. The problem is that it never felt anything like Star Wars. It also took a chance in being from Luke’s first person perspective, and even though I was excited by that, it did not bring anything to the story. The sad thing is if you did not tell me it was a Star Wars story, you could have just placed this in any other universe. Also, did not like the way it was written at all. 
Rating 2.5 out of 10

A New Dawn (before A New Hope)       
I was really excited by this one as I am a HUGE Rebels fan. What a disappointment as the author of this story did a few things that just makes my brain hurt. 1. Made Kanan sound like Han Solo with jedi abilities. Even to the point where he kept calling people sweetheart. 2. Why do authors feel the need to end so many sentences with a exclamation mark?  I mean it happened. A LOT. Even having both Kanan and Hera did not help this story as I could never get past how it was written. It never worked for me at all. But it did at least have Kanan and Hera.
Rating 3.5 out of 10

Tarkin
I really wanted to like this more than I did. It isn’t even that I did not enjoy it as the back story for Tarkin was really interesting at times. But at other times it was just kind of boring. Now, I read this a while back and it is one of the ones I plan on reading again. But the interplay with Vader was really cool and any time Vader comes into a story and is written well, that is a plus. I just wish it held my interest throughout the entire story, but I was never that interested in Tarkin in the first place. BUt i wonder how much I went into it not wanting to like it? Which is why I need to just ignore that and try reading it again.
Rating 6.0 out of 10.

Aftermath (after Jedi)
Was really excited about this one as it is the story that takes place after Jedi. I do not think it was nearly as bad as people said it was. A LOT of people were not happy with it. I liked it overall, as I have read Wendig before and his writing style doesn’t really bother me. Saying that, the interludes that showed the rest of the universe were interesting at times, but also really stopped the flow of the story and it suffered because of that. Rae Sloan and Norra were awesome. How they used Wedge Antilles and Mister Bones was not.
Rating 6.5 out of 10

Smugglers Run (between a New Hope and Empire)
The image of an older Han Solo in a bar was really cool. Him being sent on a rescues mission by Leia (although relutctantly) was cooler. I also really liked Alecia Beck, the ISB officer that was trying to thwart them. Throw in a few bounty hunters chasing solo because he owed Jabba money? It was a fun read and it is also nice to see Han and Chewie at their best.
Rating 7.0 out of 10

Moving Target (between Empire and Jedi)
Leia being awesome. The addition of old characters like Mon Mothma, Ackbar, and Nien Numb was really cool.  Also, the fact that she is called General Leia? Nice. It was the first time I had heard that. Add to that the mention of Poe Dameron, it was just a nice touch to the movies that are coming out. Her ragtag group that she takes to try to trick the empire? I just really enjoyed this quite a bit and there were a lot of cool hints within.
Rating 7.5 out of 10

Lords of the Sith (After revenge of the Sith)
Vader is bad ass in case you missed it. Since this is taking place not long after Sith, there is  a lot of how Vader is becoming Vader. Struggling with what he has lost and destroyed, his relationship with Palpatine in this book is amazing. Also, Vader jumped out of his Tie Fighter into space, and single handedly killed everyone in a freighter. This is the Vader you always knew was there, but wow what an awesome scene that was. You also get the beginnings of the Rebel Alliance with Hera from Rebels father trying to assassinate the two Sith. Was a fun read.
Rating 8.0 out of 10

Weapon of the Jedi (between A New Hope and Empire)
This is the book that Heir to the Jedi failed to be. Luke trying to figure out how to be a Jedi. Luke flying with Red Squadron with Wedge Antililes. Him training with multiple training remotes and finding the Lost Temple. This books was just pure joy as it reminded me why I love Luke so much. Letting go of everything and using the force in his fight with Sarco? Also, Jessika Pave, female x-wing pilot made my day. I think it was said she was also the female x-wing pilot in the last tv promo. That is awesome.
Rating 8.5 out of 10

Lost Stars (taking place from before A New Hope to way after Jedi with the battle of Jakku)
This book is amazing. Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell are kids that all they want is to join the Empire and get off their backwater planet. Once they finally get there it is a love story that is sort of reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet. Ciena loves order and that is what the Empire gives her. Thane? Just wants to fly and that is what the Empire gives him. But actions done by the empire forces Thane to leave the empire and eventually join the rebels. The story takes you through all of the original trilogy and gives you glimpses of the major happenings of those stories from a different perspective. It was amazing as you can feel for both of them as they struggle with how they feel for each other, but being on the opposite side of a galactic war. That is all that I will say about the story, other than it was written SO WELL and just was everything I wanted in a Star Wars novel, even leading up to showing how the Star Destroyer you see in the trailer actually crashed into Jakku. That in itself was such an amazing thing.

Rating 9.5 out of 10

More in depth review/ Lost Stars Review

I have not read Twilight Company or Dark Disciple as of yet. When I do, I will add them to the list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment